Should You Try and Clean Items after Fire Damage?
Call SERVPRO after you experience a fire incident, we have training in fire & smoke restoration, odor control, upholstery & fabric cleaning.
It Is Better to Call In the Professionals
Seeing your home and belongings soot-blackened by fire damage is demoralizing and stressful. SERVPRO understands that you want to get everything clean as soon as possible.
However, it is much better to call in the experts to handle the cleanup after fire damage in your Pottsville home. Different materials react differently to heat during ablaze, and the type of material which burns can make a big difference to how we clean up afterward.
- Smooth and non-porous services may be easier to clean after a blaze.
- Porous surfaces often warp and suffer more profound soot damage, and require more specialist cleaning.
- Antique surfaces and finishes may require special care to restore.
SERVPRO teams will examine soot-damaged items and decide on the best cleaning method for restoration. For example, we might use dry brushing, HEPA vacuums, soda blasting, spot cleaning, or wet cleaning. Calling on us means you can salvage more of your belongings, thanks to our expert knowledge and our emphasis on restoring rather than replacing.
For fire damage help you can trust, call SERVPRO of Pottsville at (570) 622-8991.
Why Does Your Garden Matter in Preventing Flood Damage?
Regardless of the way that your home was flooded, SERVPRO is the effective company for water removal services. Don’t wait, call right away.
Storm Proof Your Garden to Protect Your Home
It is better to prepare for flood damage before it happens. Even if the weather forecast is clear, it is better to take preventative measures sooner rather than later.
One way to help protect your Orwigsburg home from flood damage is to keep your yard well-tended. Several risk areas in your garden can put your house at greater risk of flood damage:
- Overhanging trees can damage windows or roofs and let floodwater into your home.
- Overflowing drainpipes and gutters increase the risk of flooding near your home’s walls.
- Lawns or flowerbeds that slope towards your home encourage floodwater to run to the building.
- Loose fence posts or gates can blow into your home and cause damage that allows water in.
Keep gutters clean, and call in a tree surgeon if a tree looks like it might be in a dangerous position. In the event of flood damage, call SERVPRO. We will evacuate water from your home, clean your belongings, and dry and deodorize your home to leave it “Like it never even happened.”
If you need help with flood damage, call SERVPRO of Pottsville at (570) 622-8991.
How Can Pottsville Businesses Get Help with Mold Damage?
If mold damage strikes your business, you’ll need a team to help you. Contact SERVPRO 24/7 for professional remediation and mitigation services.
SERVPRO Knows How to Tackle Commercial Mold
Pottsville is a small, friendly city in Schuylkill County, Pennsylvania. With just 14,324 residents at the last census, Pottsville is the perfect size to explore on foot or by bike, without needing to drive for miles or spend hours on public transit. The city is situated beside the Schuylkill River in the heart of Pennsylvania's coal-mining country.
Charles II granted lands to early Quaker William Penn in the early eighteenth century. Pottsville's fortunes were significantly improved when a hunter named Necho Allen discovered a coal seam in 1790. Local folklore tells that Allen found the seam by way of waking to see a large fire. His campfire had ignited the seam in the night! Allen set up a refinery, and Pottsville became a key coal refining location. A small but booming textile industry followed in the nineteenth century, along with a brewery. Pottsville also became a popular site for traveling entertainers such as Vaudeville acts.
There is Something for all the Family in Pottsville
For a relatively small city, Pottsville still boasts plenty to see and do. Bring the family and explore, and do not miss:
- D. G. Yuengling & Son is the oldest family-operated brewery in America. A young German immigrant started the brewery, which has now become synonymous with American beers. Yuengling has been in the family for generations, and they plan to keep it that way! The brewery tour is a delightful step back in time – you can even see the hand-dug tunnels used by brewery workers 200 years ago. You also get to sample fantastic local beers at the end of the tour – sometimes, you even get to taste a beer that isn't available to the public yet.
- Jerry's Classic Cars and Collectibles Museum is an excellent attraction for the whole family. Step back in time to the days of sleek character cars, pinball machines, and soda fountains. There is even a reproduction drive-in movie theater for a truly authentic experience.
- Hope Hill Lavender Farm offers a relaxing afternoon out, all while admiring Pennsylvania's rolling green hills. You can stroll among the beautifully scented lavender plants, browse for gifts in the shop, or stop for a refreshing tea at the cafe. Do not forget to sample the lavender ice cream! Tours are mostly by appointment, so do call ahead.
- Mud & Maker is a small gallery and studio where you can buy locally made pottery items – or learn to make your own! Mud & Maker offers regular classes for both children and adults.
Does Your Business Need Mold Damage Help?
Whether you run a gallery, a cafe, or a museum, you do not want mold in your building. Mold can:
- Eat into drywall or wood.
- Damage wallpaper or paint
- Cause health effects
- Look and smell unsightly.
Mold is bad news for your staff and your customers. Mold is not your fault, but it can make business premises less welcoming. Thankfully, SERVPRO is on hand to help with any mold issues you have.
Our expert teams will set up containment and use negative air machines and air scrubbers to prevent the spores from spreading. We use powerful HEPA vacuums, dry scrubbing, and wet cleaning or soda blasting to remove visible mold from your premises.
For help with mold damage in your business, call SERVPRO of Pottsville at (570) 622-8991.
Five Tools Fundamental Fridays
If your home is damaged by water. Call SERVPRO for the water damage restorations services needed for the job.
One Hour Sessions to Help You Hone Your Baseball and Softball Skills in Pottsville
Softball is considered a relatively easy game to learn. However, it can be frustrating when you keep missing hits or getting strikes out - baseball is even easier. However, you might lose interest in the two sports if you fail to grasp the primary skills such as hitting, catching, throwing, and base-running. Regular practice is the best approach to help you overcome the initial difficulties faster. Athletics In Motion, Inc. organizes special sessions in Pottsville to help you work on your baseball or softball skills.
If planning to take advantage of the event to hone your skills, you should note that:
- Participants can work on various fundamental skills, including pitching, hitting, and other skills
- Each participant pays $10 at the door
- Softball sessions are held between 6 PM to 7 PM
- Baseball sessions are held between 7 PM to 8 PM
SERVPRO of Pottsville performs water restoration exercises in affected residences returning them to their preloss condition. Call us at (570) 622-8991 to help with major or minor incidents at your property.
Thursday Storytime for Cressona Children
Storms may cause flood damage when all is said and done. Call the professionals. SERVPRO has the team you need for the water restoration service.
Cressona Kids Can Learn New Things or Fine Tune their Skills in One-Day Fun Events
Reading, storytelling, and coloring are some great activities to keep kids in Cressona occupied. Such activities are not only entertaining but also an excellent way for them to learn some new skills, including improving fine motor skills. Coloring can also help in related aspects such as improving handwriting. At a younger age, children tend to lose interest quickly, so proper scheduling is as essential as finding the right activities. Barnes & Noble Booksellers has a storytelling and coloring event for kids on Thursday 21st, 2021, starting from 10 AM.
Some of the main highlights of the event include:
- 30-minute sessions of fun activities
- A variety of activities including coloring and storytelling
- The event is open to all kids
- The event is scheduled frequently so you can pick a date convenient to you
SERVPRO of Pottsville is an established flood damage restoration service that helps restore Cressona homes after flooding incidents. Call us at (570) 622-8991 to help take steps that minimize or reverse the damages caused by such incidents.
Local Service Offers Sufficient Fire Restoration Resources in Pottsville
Fire restoration is no DIY project. Call SERVPRO and their IICRC certified technicians for the job. They have the latest equipment and knowledge.
SERVPRO Helps Pottsville Homeowners Access Equipment and Trained Personnel
Pottsville lies on Schuylkill River's western bank. The river is one of the crucial natural resources in southeastern Pennsylvania. One of the river's memorable contributions to the region's history is the role it played during the Philadelphia campaign of the American Revolution when it was the main transportation artery for manufactured goods and coal. Another unique aspect of the Pottsville area is the hilly topography. It stretches over several hills, including Mount Hope, Forest Hills, Cottage Hill, Lawton's Hill, and Bunker Hill, which provide excellent views in different city sections.
The city traces its origins to a land grant by King Charles II of England when he granted lands south and west of the Delaware and Schuylkill rivers to William Penn. William was the son of Sir William Penn, an admiral and politician. He distinguished himself early on as an advocate of democracy by establishing treaties and good relations with the Lenape people, the area's native inhabitants. One of the lasting legacies of William Penn in the area is the names he chose for different places. For instance, the name Pennsylvania translates to "Penn's Woods."
Pottsville had a bit of violent history during its formative stages. For instance, in 1780, some of the early settlers were massacred. During the mid-1800s, the town was the rallying point for a secret miner's society known as the Molly Maguires in the United States. The society, which was also active in Ireland and Liverpool, agitated for better mining conditions but often used violent methods. The city was named after John Pott, who arrived in 1806, acquired and expanded the existing ironworks in the area. He also laid out the town in 1816. However, it is the coal discovery in the surrounding area that transformed it into a boomtown.
Monuments and Other Places of Interest in Pottsville
The city has many monuments and buildings put up over the years that visitors and residents can explore for relaxation purposes or to learn about the history of the city. Some of the outstanding ones include:
- The Schuylkill County Courthouse located on North 2nd Street was constructed over three years from 1849 to 1851. The building was designed by Beebe, who drew inspiration from New York State Capitol in Albany done by H. H. Richardson. Beebe was a prolific designer of courthouses, working for several counties, including Huntington, Cambria, and Warren Counties. Some of the outstanding features of the courthouse include the round-arched windows in its upper stories and its mansard roof.
- The Garfield Square Monuments is on North Fifth and West market streets. It honors the Spanish-American War veterans, most of whom were volunteers called to arms by the then president McKinley. The statue in the monument is called the "Hiker" since the veterans called themselves the hikers.
- D.G. Yuengling & Son Brewery, located on Mahantongo Street, is the oldest brewery in the United States. When established in 1829, it was located on Center Street and moved to Mahantongo Street when a fire gutted the original plant in 1931. The site was chosen because it was at the side of a mountain allowing tunneling to create natural cooling chambers for fermenting and aging beer.
Recreation Areas and Parks
Recreation is a serious aspect of life in the city of Pottsville. The government constitutes the recreation commission to oversee, equip, operate, and maintain recreational places. The commission is constituted of nine members appointed by the mayor. Some of the established recreational areas include:
- Barefield Outdoor Recreation Complex, a three-acre complex located on Terry Reiley Way, features horseshoe pits, a court for sand volleyball, a full basketball court, and a putting green. The park is free for public use.
- Yuengling Park is a peaceful spot for relaxation close to the hub of the city. It is located at the site of the Old Spring House used by the Yuengling brewery. It features benches, flowers, grass, natural fountains, and a large pavilion.
- The John F. Kennedy Memorial Recreation Complex is considered the city's central park and features several amenities, including a jogging path that connects to the nearby Railway Park. The JFK memorial pool located in the complex is a non-membership pool for the community. Other exciting aspects include benches in shady, wooded areas, two basketball courts, one volleyball court, and four tennis courts.
- Henry Clay Park gives visitors a vantage point to explore the south side of Pottsville. The small park has no equipped recreational fields or benches, but the numerous trees surrounding it provide a cool relaxation spot.
How Does SERVPRO Handle Fire Restoration Projects In Pottsville?
Properties affected by a fire can be restored to their preloss state if the damage is not extreme and if the right processes are utilized in the restoration effort. SERVPRO provides highly trained teams of technicians to help Pottsville property owners clean up and repair the damages caused by fires restoring properties to their preloss state.
Training makes a difference in identifying which damages can be fixed and whether the costs involved are justifiable. It also helps in choosing the right processes or equipment when fixing damages. Typical restoration tasks involve:
- Cleaning up vast surfaces such as walls and ceilings
- Tearing down damaged materials to reach into cavities
- Drying moisture introduced during firefighting and cleanup
- Removing odors caused by surface residues or those embedded deep into materials
SERVPRO technicians also work to fix or prevent damages that occur after the fire is put out. Damage can develop from the effects of corrosive residues such as soot, especially on metallic or stone materials leading to deep staining or other forms of deterioration. Moisture can also lead to bad odor or mold development. Preventing steps, including pre-cleaning surfaces or applying oil over surfaces to counter the effects of corrosive residues. Setting up dehumidifiers, on the other hand, helps manage moisture levels in the air.
SERVPRO of Pottsville provides various resources necessary to ensure smooth fire damage restoration. Call us at (570) 622-8991 to help start the necessary processes immediately after fires are put out.
Enjoy A Bingo Night Organized by Amvets Pottsville
Go have fun and support our local veterans with a fun night of bingo.
Have Fun and Help Support Veterans in Pottsville
Appreciating veterans and their families for their sacrifice and service to the country is essential. The support you offer can help cater for shelter, hospital bills, or other needs, especially for the disabled veterans. In case you do not know any Pottsville veterans near you or you may prefer a discrete approach when supporting them, channeling your contributions through a charity organization might be a great approach. Such organizations even plan events where you can have fun while offering your support. Amvets Events Pottsville is hosting a bingo night on December 19th, 2020, to support its operations.
Some of the essential things to note about the event include:
- Different participation packages priced at $18, $20, and $25. Special packages are also available at $1 and three jackpots for $5.
- The doors open at 4 PM for the event held at 1300 Senica Street
- All standard COVID rules apply, including temperature checks at the door
SERVPRO of Pottsville helps businesses in Schuylkill County complete water mitigation processes efficiently. Call us at (570) 622-8991 whenever you need assistance.
Timely Response from A Skilled Team Helps manage Flood Damage in Pottsville
SERVPRO of Pottsville always has their community's best interest at heart, especially after damage to a property. You can always count on SERVPRO.
SERVPRO Provides the Resources Needed to Save Pottsville Businesses Affected by Flooding
Pottsville is an impressive city and the birthplace of many famous people, including novelists such as John O'Hara, who wrote novels about the lifestyles of affluent Americans, and war heroes like George Joulwan, who served in Vietnam and rose through the ranks to become the Commander in chief, United States European Command and Supreme Allied Command. Businessmen, too, like David Gotlieb Yuengling, who started America's oldest brewery in 1929, called Pottsville home. David emigrated from Germany, where his father was an established local brewer. After his elder brother inherited the family brewery, his career prospects dimmed, thus prompting the shift to America, where he set up a new brewery.
Initially named Eagle, the regional brewery later changed to adopt the founder's name, Yuengling. It has also overcome many challenges over the years, including surviving the tribulations of the prohibition era. At the time, the company opted to make ice cream as an alternative income source. Even after prohibition was lifted, the company still makes ice cream, and today customers can enjoy a mix of 13 unique classical and modern flavors. The company's former headquarter, located on Mahantongo Street, was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1986. People visiting Pottsville can experience close to 200 years of America's brewing history by taking a tour of the facility. There are hand-dug caves at the bottom of the building used as coolers for beer fermentation before the development of refrigeration.
Historic Buildings in Pottsville
Apart from the Yuengling Brewery and museum, other historic facilities in the city provide a glimpse of the diverse aspects of life at different times in its development journey. Some of the notable ones include:
- The Schuylkill County Historical Society, Museum, and Gift Shop, located on North Center Street. Incorporated in 1903, it holds a vast array of historical records that visitors can pursue for entertainment purposes or genealogical research. The facility is situated where Centre Street Grammar School, constructed during the civil war, used to be.
- The Pottsville Armory was a National Guard facility constructed in 1913. The main structure is a T-plan brick building. It features a combination of Late Gothic Revival and Romanesque architecture. Currently, the building hosts the Schuylkill YMCA.
- The Frank D. Yuengling Mansion, which was opened in 1913, is a Tudor Jacobean-style house built by the grandson of the Yuengling brewery founder and is a physical manifestation of the financial might of the family.
Apart from the historic buildings, there are several other attractions in the city, including the Majestic Theater, one of the only two remaining reverse screen theaters in the state. Jerry's Classic Cars and Collectibles Museum is another exciting location where people can experience life from a past perspective by exploring things like pinball machines, soda shops, drive-in theaters, and a collection of various fast cars from yesteryears. Visiting the facility is a great way to explore the development story of Pottsville and the country in general.
The Great Floods of 1850
Although Pottsville has steadily developed since it received its charter as a city on March 22, 1911, there have also been setbacks. Among the notable incidents are two major flooding episodes in July and September 1850. A tropical storm on July 18th-19th moved north from Virginia, leading to flash floods that affected various sections along the Schuylkill River.
Another episode of flooding from a rainstorm happened on September 2, 1850, causing rivers to burst their banks and leaving widespread damages to properties and infrastructure in the Southeastern region of Pennsylvania. Although the event did not cause significant damages in Pottsville, other areas in the region fared much worse. For instance, the Penn Street Bridge in Reading, which was built in 1815, was entirely swept away by the flooding. At the Schuylkill Canal, the whole lower gate and an arm of the upper gate at lock number 45 were carried off by the raging waters.
Flooding incidents have also affected the city in recent years. For instance, in August 2018, heavy rainfall soaked Pottsville leaving many areas inundated. The rising water was as high as two feet in some areas, leaving roads like Norwegian street and Progress Avenue resembling overflowing creeks. The water encroached into many properties forcing emergency services to evacuate people from their homes. The floodwater waters did not spare infrastructure either. For instance, parts of Progress Avenue, along the 400 and 500 blocks were ripped apart.
How Does SERVPRO Help Pottsville Businesses Affected by Flood Damage?
Most flooding incidents occur when least expected, thus catching Pottsville business owners unawares. An incident can have wide-ranging implications, including leaving significant amounts of water or moisture inside buildings, widespread contamination, and deterioration of various materials. SERVPRO provides comprehensive solutions to address all aspects of the loss.
The most vital aspect of the response to flooding is timely action since most of the initial damages worsen with time. For instance, moisture migration happens steadily as the water stagnates in the property. Contamination can also worsen because of microbial growth processes, which lead to the multiplication of fungi or bacteria. SERVPRO manages a faster restoration of affected businesses because of three main aspects:
- Proper preparation of the restoration teams, which guarantees arrival at the loss site within a few hours after receiving notification about the incident. The team is segmented into customer service and work crews. Customer service is reachable 24/7 while the work crews keep production trucks prepared for immediate deployment on short notice.
- The use of state-of-the-art equipment and other technology also helps speed up the recovery. Our teams have access to high-speed water extractors and commercial grade dehumidifiers.
- In most cases, the aftermath of flooding incidents is chaotic. Understanding the situation is essential for one to take the correct remedial steps. SERVPRO technicians undergo training in various fields such as Applied Structural Drying, Water Damage Restoration, and Health and Safety, making it easier to understand a loss site.
SERVPRO of Pottsville organizes a timely response whenever flood damage incidents affect Pottsville business premises. Call us at (570) 622-8991 to help restore normalcy.
Orwigsburg Holiday Gift Making Event
Come take part in the Lutheran Church of the Holy Trinity DIY gift making, you get to make your gifts as well as support local businesses.
Make Handmade Holiday Gifts for Your Orwigsburg Friends
The year 2020 has revealed the importance of spending time together with other people. One exciting way to socialize with family and friends is by partaking in pleasurable activities on December 8th. You can end the year on a high note at The Lutheran Church of the Holy Trinity, where you can make or collect DIY gifts for your family and friends. The event is organized with a great goal of helping local businesses.
There are 7 different kinds of items that people can make, including fuzzy sock heating pads, evergreen infused room sprays, gnome star ornament, Vanilla Chai Lip Balm Tins, Manly Man Beard Oil, or luxurious bath soak bliss. Every participant can make as many of these items as possible.
If interested in the event, you should:
- Reserve a spot by buying a ticket which costs $15
- Prepare to pay-as-you-go for DIY items
- Indicate how many of each item you may want to make when booking to ensure the supplies provided are sufficient
SERVPRO of Pottsville helps perform thorough fire damage restoration in Orwigsburg properties. You can reach our support staff at any time at (570) 622-8991.
Orwigsburg Enjoys Renninger’s Farmers Market Year-Round
Come out and enjoy the experience at Renninger’s Farmers Market. We look forward to seeing you.
Orwigsburg Residents Know it is More Than Just a Farmer’s Market – It’s Antiques & More
If you enjoy shopping at the local farmer’s market, Renninger’s Farmers Market is the place to be on the weekends. They feature an indoor market Saturday and Sunday, starting at 8 AM. On Sunday you can shop at the outdoor market, also starting at 8 AM. Shoppers will find all kinds of great deals on groceries, meats, snacks, and produce. But shopping isn’t limited to food items. Their vendors also have:
- Household items
The outdoor flea market takes place on Sunday and is a bargain hunter’s delight. If you enjoy auctions, Gilbertville Auction house hosts them Friday – Sunday. You can find them on Facebook for upcoming auctions. They also have a great café – The Auction Café.
SERVPRO of Pottsville is proud to be locally owned and operated. We are an experienced puffback cleanup company serving the Orwigsburg area. Contact us at (570) 622-8991 if you are having problems with your furnace and puffback residue. We can get that cleaned up for you in no time.