Stopping Bathroom Mold Before It Starts
Unless you live in a highly humid environment, you’re likely to find mold in your bathroom before anywhere else. Even if you don’t have any leaks or flooding leading to water damage, you’re still dealing with splashing water, standing water, and humidity – all of which encourage mold to grow. So how can you prevent mold from springing up in your Pottsville, PA, home?
Steps to Prevent Bathroom Mold Growth
To keep your bathroom mold-free, just follow these simple steps for mold prevention:
1. Use your fan. The humidity after you bathe or shower can activate mold spores in the air and turn them into an active infestation. Run your fan during and after your bath or shower to remove humidity from the air.
2. Wipe down sinks, toilets, and shower walls. Condensation and splashes can accumulate on all these surfaces, and invite mold to breed.
3. Wipe down the bathroom walls and floors. These surfaces, too, are likely to sprout mold if water is left condensed or puddled too long on their surfaces, not to mention water damage weakening the drywall and tile to make it easier for mold to take root.
4. Frequently check your pipes and the seal around your toilet. Leaks also lead to water damage, and the more water damage you suffer, the more mold you’ll find.
5. Check and seal your grout. Grout is meant to act as a seal to prevent water from leaking past tile and into close, dark spaces full of things mold loves to feed on. Grout can age, though, and can crack. You should periodically check your grout and re-seal it as needed to ensure it’s watertight.
You can also speak to a mold remediation specialist. Even if you don’t actively have mold, a specialist can assess your bathroom and determine what areas could be problem areas – and provide invaluable pointers on managing them.
For more information, please visit us at http://www.SERVPROpottsville.com.